Skip to main content

Churches, Mosques to Remain Shut- Babajide Sanwo Olu




Lagos State Government has rolled back its earlier decision, granting partial re-opening to houses of worship across the State. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday, announced indefinite suspension on the order.

By implication, churches and mosques in Lagos must remain closed for religious activities and gatherings.

The Governor made the development known during the 15th press briefing held at the State House in Marina to give updates on Lagos Coronavirus (COVID-19) response.

Besides, Sanwo-Olu said the State Government would be finalising the protocols to re-open basic and secondary schools, noting that meetings were currently being held with stakeholders. He said online learning already adopted by the State-owned tertiary institutions and secondary schools would go on until stakeholders agree on protocols for schools’ resumption.

The State Government had earlier directed‪ mosques and churches to re-open from June 19 and 21 for obligatory services only.

The Governor said the reversal of the reopening order became necessary, following the evolving scenarios being observed in the course of COVID-19 infection in the State. He said the Government would continue to developments and take necessary steps when the coast is clear.

He said: “Dear Lagosians, in the most recent guidelines which we issued on the gradual easing of the lockdown, I noted that we would shortly be permitting the restricted opening of religious houses, on the condition of strict compliance with detailed guidelines issued by the Lagos State Safety Commission (LSSC).

“We have been closely monitoring the situation since then, and have now concluded that we cannot proceed with any form of re-opening for places of worship until further notice. We are now, hereby, suspending, with immediate effect, the plan to re-open religious houses and places of worship in Lagos until further notice.

“This is not a decision that we have taken lightly; it is simply in line with our ongoing evaluation of evolving scenarios regarding the course of the infection in Lagos and the corresponding public health advisory guidelines issued by the experts.

“We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and continue to base our decision-making on data modelling; as well as on the responsibility we have to act in a manner that ensures the protection of all Lagos residents.”

Sanwo-Olu also directed that all social and entertainment centres, including cinemas, cafès, restaurants, gyms, parks, nightclubs and social clubs, must remain closed. The Governor said the LSSC should continue with the Register-to-Open initiative to get clearance for businesses and social centres ahead of the new date for reopening.

The registration is free of charge for all entities. Religious houses are exempted from the registration.

The Governor said the State had entered a phase in the battle against COVID-19 in which every resident, religious and business entity must take personal responsibility for their safety.

Sanwo-Olu said: “Let me make this clear that, we are now fully in the phase of personal responsibility regarding this pandemic. This means that the Government will maintain its responsibility to take protective decisions for the common good. What will ultimately save us all and defeat this virus are the sensible personal decisions that we take on a daily basis.

“The responsibility we must take includes the use of face masks anytime we are going into public places, avoiding non-essential travel, staying at home when we don’t have any business being outside, and washing or sanitising our hands regularly. These are the simple but necessary steps that will save and protect us all.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: Lagos senator, Adebayo Osinowo, dies at 64

The National Assembly, Adebayo Osinowo popularly known as ‘Pepperito’ is dead. He was said to have died on Monday after a brief illness at the age of 64. Before moving to the National Assembly, Osinowo was a four-time member of the Lagos State House of Assembly.

All TESCOM Applicants to update their Records- Oyo Govt. (Check date)

   Oyo state government has directed all applicants who applied for the Teaching Service Commission jobs to visit the website and upload the details of their credentials and personal data.   Mrs.  Grace Olabisi Oderinde, Permanent Secretary, Oyo State Post Primary Schools Service Commission (TESCOM) state this in a released post on social media on Thursday.  The exercise is for those who have obtained and submitted application forms in the on-going recruitment exercise. They are expected to do so between Monday, 13th and Saturday 18th July, 2020 for further processing of their applications. “Please note that ONLY applicants who have already filled and submitted the application forms are eligible for this exercise. “We hereby enjoin all applicants to take note of this development, as failure to comply will lead to forfeiture of such application,” the announcement reads.

Federal Government Increase petrol price to N143.80 per litre

The Federal Government has announced a new pump price for premium motor spirit (PMS). The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has announced that the new pump price of petrol is between N140.80-N143.80 per litre. Nigerians might witness another hike in retail price for petrol as the Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has recommended an upward review from N121.50. The agency recommended that a litre of petrol should now be sold between N140.80 and N143.80. The Cable reports that the agency in a statement wrote:  “After a review of the prevailing market fundamentals in the month of June and considering marketers’ realistic operating costs, as much as practicable, we wish to advise a new PMS pump price band of N140.80 – N143.80/litre for the month of July 2020.”

Malami Always Interfered With Our Investigation - Magu

Suspended Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, has taken a swipe at Nigeria's Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, accusing him of always interfering with the agency's investigations and working with others to strip it of its statutory powers. Magu in a 44-page document titled “RD: Alleged Case Of Conspiracy Enrichment Abuse Of Public Office And Other Infractions” written to the Justice Ayo Salami-led Presidential panel investigating allegations of corruption against him, said that the complaints against him were fabricated and targeted at tarnishing his image and the credibility of the EFCC. The 58-year-old, who was  released on Wednesday  after 10 days in detention following  his arrest  by a combined team of Department of State Services and policemen in Abuja on July 6 to answer questions from the panel, said that the entire saga was a well-orchestrated plot by his traducers to rubbish him for exposin...