Skip to main content

Schools To Remain Shut- Fed Govt


Pupils and students will stay longer at home because schools cannot reopen soon, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 said on Thursday.

The government cited the need to protect the vulnerable and halt the spread of the virus in communities as reasons.

Besides, the government is worried about the rising cases of the virus pandemic in the country.

School children were sent home in March to prevent Coronavirus spread.

PTF chair Boss Mustapha said: “Nigeria witnessed a spike in number of confirmed cases when the number of recorded cases jumped to 663 on  June 9. This number gives us cause for concern as a Task Force and as a nation.

“The PTF will re-emphasize its appeal to governments at the sub-national level as well as our security agencies to enforce the guidelines and protocols firmly.

“The PTF would also be meeting with the heads of these agencies to further fine-tune strategies to ensure compliance,” he added.

“We must ensure that our goal is to stay alive and remain COVID-19 free.”

Mustapha described school resumption as delicate since Nigeria had entered the phase of community spread of the virus.

He said Nigeria should pursue a strategy that will aid the sustainable control of the spread of the disease, adding that communications and community engagement should remain top priority, while precision approach to containment and management should be adopted.


He said the PTF had put in place measures to fight against COVID-19, including the application of science and data to guide the targeting of areas of on-going high transmission, mobilisation of all resources at State and Local Government levels to create public awareness on COVID 19 and improve compliance with non-pharmaceutical interventions within communities and sustenance of key non-pharmaceutical interventions that would apply nationwide and include among others.

Mustapha spoke during the daily briefing by the PTF in Abuja.

Also on Thursday, PTF Coordinator Dr. Sani Aliyu, said Nigerians had not reached the peack of infections. He described the fight against the virus pandemic as long-drawn.

Dr Aliyu added that the decision to restrict gathering in churches and mosques was because most of those who got to places of worship are those within the vulnerable group of Nigerians who may have underlying illnesses.

He said the PTF was working closely with the Ministry of Education to work out a resumption plan for schools since majority of students may be living with the vulnerable group of Nigerians.

He said the plan may be to allow those who are supposed to write examination to do so, saying “we don’t want what has happened to affect the next academic session”.

He said 20 per cent of Nigerian have underlying ailment, adding that the government had a responsibility to protect them against infection, hence the suggestion by government for people to stay at home.

He said the global epicenter of the pandemic had shifted from China to Europe, then to the United States and is now showing significant impact in South and Central America.

He said the shift to South America with virtually similar climatic and demographic similarities with Africa, is a cause for concern considering the earlier projections pointed to Africa as likely to be the worst-hit continent.

Mustapha said over 800 frontline health workers involved in the COVID-19  fight had been infested by the virus.

He said: “It is the consideration of the PTF that while Nigeria’s confirmed cases have increased in the period under review, majority of the confirmed cases have been found to be in a handful of local governments in the country, adding that 20 out of the 774 LGAs nationwide account for 60% of the cases with Lagos accounting for 11.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: Lagos senator, Adebayo Osinowo, dies at 64

The National Assembly, Adebayo Osinowo popularly known as ‘Pepperito’ is dead. He was said to have died on Monday after a brief illness at the age of 64. Before moving to the National Assembly, Osinowo was a four-time member of the Lagos State House of Assembly.

All TESCOM Applicants to update their Records- Oyo Govt. (Check date)

   Oyo state government has directed all applicants who applied for the Teaching Service Commission jobs to visit the website and upload the details of their credentials and personal data.   Mrs.  Grace Olabisi Oderinde, Permanent Secretary, Oyo State Post Primary Schools Service Commission (TESCOM) state this in a released post on social media on Thursday.  The exercise is for those who have obtained and submitted application forms in the on-going recruitment exercise. They are expected to do so between Monday, 13th and Saturday 18th July, 2020 for further processing of their applications. “Please note that ONLY applicants who have already filled and submitted the application forms are eligible for this exercise. “We hereby enjoin all applicants to take note of this development, as failure to comply will lead to forfeiture of such application,” the announcement reads.

Federal Government Increase petrol price to N143.80 per litre

The Federal Government has announced a new pump price for premium motor spirit (PMS). The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has announced that the new pump price of petrol is between N140.80-N143.80 per litre. Nigerians might witness another hike in retail price for petrol as the Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has recommended an upward review from N121.50. The agency recommended that a litre of petrol should now be sold between N140.80 and N143.80. The Cable reports that the agency in a statement wrote:  “After a review of the prevailing market fundamentals in the month of June and considering marketers’ realistic operating costs, as much as practicable, we wish to advise a new PMS pump price band of N140.80 – N143.80/litre for the month of July 2020.”

Malami Always Interfered With Our Investigation - Magu

Suspended Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, has taken a swipe at Nigeria's Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, accusing him of always interfering with the agency's investigations and working with others to strip it of its statutory powers. Magu in a 44-page document titled “RD: Alleged Case Of Conspiracy Enrichment Abuse Of Public Office And Other Infractions” written to the Justice Ayo Salami-led Presidential panel investigating allegations of corruption against him, said that the complaints against him were fabricated and targeted at tarnishing his image and the credibility of the EFCC. The 58-year-old, who was  released on Wednesday  after 10 days in detention following  his arrest  by a combined team of Department of State Services and policemen in Abuja on July 6 to answer questions from the panel, said that the entire saga was a well-orchestrated plot by his traducers to rubbish him for exposin...