Skip to main content

Hushpuppi faces 20 years in US prison





A Nigerian social influencer, Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, 37, a.k.a. “Ray Hushpuppi” and “Hush,” made his initial U.S. court appearance yesterday in Chicago, where he is facing criminal charges on allegations that he conspired to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from business email compromise (BEC) frauds and other scams, including schemes targeting a U.S. law firm, a foreign bank and an English Premier League soccer club.

This is contained in a statement yesterday by the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Central District of California, which states that he was expected to be transferred to Los Angeles in the coming weeks.

Hushpuppi arrived in Chicago Thursday evening after being extradited from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), where he was arrested last month by UAE law enforcement officials. FBI special agents earlier this week obtained custody of Abbas and brought him to the United States to face a charge of conspiring to engage in money laundering that is alleged in a criminal complaint filed on June 25 by federal prosecutors in Los Angeles.

An affidavit filed with the complaint alleges that Abbas and others committed a BEC scheme that defrauded a client of a New York-based law firm of approximately $922,857 in October 2019. Abbas and co-conspirators allegedly tricked one of the law firm’s paralegals into wiring money intended for the client’s real estate refinancing to a bank account that was controlled by Abbas and the co-conspirators.

The affidavit also alleges that Abbas conspired to launder funds stolen in a $14.7 million cyber-heist from a foreign financial institution in February 2019, in which the stolen money was sent to bank accounts around the world. Abbas allegedly provided a co-conspirator with two bank accounts in Europe that Abbas anticipated each would receive €5 million (about $5.6 million) of the fraudulently obtained funds.

Abbas and others further conspired to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from other fraudulent schemes and computer intrusions, including one scheme to steal £100 million (approximately $124 million) from an English Premier League soccer club, the complaint alleges.

If convicted of conspiracy to engage in money laundering, Abbas would face a statutory maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison, the statement said.

“The FBI led the investigation of Abbas, and the United States Secret Service was also involved and provided substantial assistance. The FBI further thanks the government of the United Arab Emirates and the Dubai Police Department for their substantial assistance.

“This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Anil J. Antony and Joseph B.

Woodring of the Cyber and Intellectual Property Crimes Section. The Criminal Division’s Office of International Affairs provided substantial assistance in this matter,” according to the statement.

The affidavit says Abbas maintains social media accounts that frequently showed him in designer clothes, wearing expensive watches, and posing in or with luxury cars and charter jets.

“The FBI’s investigation has revealed that Abbas finances this opulent lifestyle through crime, and that he is one of the leaders of a transnational network that facilitates computer intrusions, fraudulent schemes (including BEC schemes), and money laundering, targeting victims around the world in schemes designed to steal hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit describes BEC schemes as often involving a computer hacker gaining unauthorised access to a business’ email account, blocking or redirecting communications to and/or from that email account, and then using the compromised email account or a separate fraudulent email account to communicate with personnel from a victim company and to attempt to trick them into making an unauthorised wire transfer.

“BEC schemes are one of the most difficult cybercrimes we encounter as they typically involve a coordinated group of con artists scattered around the world who have experience with computer hacking and exploiting the international financial system,” said United States Attorney Nick Hanna. “This case targets a key player in a large, transnational conspiracy who was living an opulent lifestyle in another country while allegedly providing safe havens for stolen money around the world. As this case demonstrates, my office will continue to hold such criminals accountable, no matter where they live.”

“In 2019 alone, the FBI recorded $1.7 billion in losses by companies and individuals victimized through business email compromise scams, the type of scheme Mr. Abbas is charged with conducting from abroad,” said Paul Delacourt, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office. “While this arrest has effectively taken a major alleged BEC player offline, BEC scams represent the most financially costly type of scheme reported to the FBI. I urge anyone who transfers funds personally or on behalf of a company to educate themselves about BEC so they can identify this insidious scheme before losing sizable amounts of money.”

“This was a challenging case, one that spanned international boundaries, traditional financial systems and the digital sphere,” said Jesse Baker, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Secret Service, Los Angles Field Office. “Technology has essentially erased geographic boundaries leaving trans-national criminal syndicates to believe that they are beyond the reach of law enforcement. The success in this case was the direct result of our trusted partnerships between the Department of Justice and our federal law enforcement colleagues. These partnerships helped dismantle a sophisticated organised crime group who preyed upon unsuspecting businesses. It is thanks to these partnerships that the American people can feel a bit more secure today.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

House of Assembly most misunderstood arm of Government – Senate president

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has said that the legislature is the most misunderstood arm of Government. Lawan stated this in his remarks sequel to a motion considered on International Day of Parliamentarism, sponsored by Senator Ifeanyi Ubah (YPP – Anambra South). According to the Senate President, the development poses a challenge which requires Parliamentarians to educate and enlighten citizens on the functions and roles of the parliament.  He added that the National Assembly in its bid to ensure the prudent application of public funds, will continue to oversight the Executive arm of Government, as well as provide legislative interventions to foster good governance where necessary.  “Here in Nigeria, like indeed anywhere else, democracy is largely defined by the presence of parliament, and parliamentarians are expected to undertake those three fundamental pillars of their mandate, that is representation, oversight and ensuring that we always legislate on good govern...

Suspected Thugs Invade Edo Assembly, Remove Roofs and Mace

            The lawmaker stepped the wrong toe after declaring his support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu.  As the development aggravates amid political tension preluding the governorship election in the southsouth state, some men were caught on camera taking down the roofs of the assembly and breaking the mace figure on it. Loyalists to Godwin Obaseki and APC lawmakers working against the reelection of the governor are currently are said to be clashing inside the complex.  Governor Obaseki had earlier threatened to unleash violence in full force should the ruling party APC take to the rampage path. The governor made this vow while addressing pressmen as the gubernatorial election in the south-south state draws closer.  Edo election has been scheduled for September with both APC and PDP highlighting the guber race in a fierce feud that has put both parties at public loggerhead.  Kog...

Kwara State Chief Of Staff Dies Of Covid-19

Adisa Logun, chief of staff to Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, governor of Kwara state, has died of COVID-19 complications. Rafiu Ajakaye, chief press secretary to the governor, broke the news on Tuesday night. He said Logun died hours after the result of his coronavirus test was released. “With total submission to the will of the Almighty Allah, we wish to announce the passing of the Chief of Staff to the Governor of Kwara State Aminu Adisa Logun (mni),” Ajakaye said in a statement. “Logun, an industrialist, a public intellectual, and an elder statesman, died Tuesday evening of complications from COVID-19. He died only a few hours after the test of his result returned positive. “The entire government and the people of Kwara State have lost an outstanding public servant who diligently served the state at various times, including as Chief of Staff to the Governor from June 7, 2019 until he returned to his Lord. “The Governor has declared a seven-day mourning in honour of the late Chief of Staff...

Hushpuppi, others defrauded 1.9 million victims – Dubai Police

The Dubai police on Thursday revealed a footage showing the details of how the arrest of Nigerian Dubai-based and Instagram celebrity, Raymond Igbalodely, popularly known as Hushpuppi, was effected. Reported that Dubai Interpol and the FBI apprehended the Instagram celebrity in his residence in the United Arab Emirates. The video confirmed the arrest of Hushpuppi following an extensive operation named “Fox Hunt 2”, which revealed a hidden online fraud network committing crimes outside the UAE, including money-laundering, cyber fraud, hacking, criminal impersonation, banking fraud and Identity theft .@DubaiPoliceHQ Commander-in-Chief Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri: The arrest of 'Hushpuppi','Woodberry' & 10 gang members involved in money laundry & cyber fraud activities, is another achievement added to the proud record of Dubai police in ensuring the emirate's security and safety — Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) June 25, 2020 Following their arrest, investig...